6 Sept 2010

Volume III

So indie is in the mainstream now. Which results in the next part of my underground theory. Does becoming more famous affect the music negatively? And, quite possibly the most famous of all musical clichés, "I think the earlier stuff is better."

This is completely explainable by the way. Most of the time, when a band releases a debut album, it is on their own steam. This album when then become really popular, or maybe the second one will be. Then the band will be discovered by some record label trying to make a quick buck from it and kids, this will upset you. Because I have two examples. And I am pretty sure you're not going to like them.

Kings of Leon. Youth and Young Manhood was released and delivered 46 minutes worth of whiskey soaked southern drawl, set on fire with an energy hotter than a tight pair of leather trousers. I remained a fan, up until the release of "Only By Night". Where's the fire? Besides into all the sex that the band have been having with the hoards of groupies they gathered from the album? The spark disappeared and it hurt my feelings, it made for pretty dreary listening as well.

Muse is another great example of what I refer to as "The Decline." Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry were musically extraordinary, then came Absolution and Black Holes & Revelations which weren't too bad if I am honest, but then The Resistance happened. And all my respect for the band nearly vanished. I still have not managed to listen to the entire album.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is how an indie band becomes a mainstream band under normal circumstances, they change their style to be more "acceptable", but luckily, that is changing. Indie bands are being recognised for their musical prowess, or perhaps the world has grown tired of all the bollocks. Either way, I like the fact that it's all a lot more transparent now, it does make my life as a self confessed elitist a little harder, but what kind of prick would I be if I didn't enjoy a challenge?

Over
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment