20 Apr 2010

Consider the bar raised…

I have been meaning to gush to all of you about this for some time and this is as good as any. I believe that TV on the Radio have taken the bar set by indie movers and shakers, like Sonic Youth and Radiohead and put in on the top shelf, far away from prying little fingers. There are few bands who can claim to be as diverse, unique or simply entertaining as TV on the Radio and my admiration for them is boundless.

Lead singer, Tunde Adebimpe, all round genius, Dave Sitek  and guitarist Kyp Malone create some of the most memorable and mind-blowing melodies / harmonies and general genius seemingly at will. Every album since Malone joined (Sitek and Adebimpe only released one album with a collection of home-recordings)the band has been a step forward, stagnation is not something TV on the Radio have ever heard of. They will mesmorise you, they always do. Their music washes down like a smooth whiskey, served just as you like it. Yes they are labelled as “experimental, indie, post punk, etc etc”, but let me tell you this, it matters none.

TV on the Radio are a truly unique and original music offering, they’re more than a band, they’re a benchmark. I tried to figure out different genres that they incorporate, but I cannot, that is because I believe they've done what so many only strive to do, be truly original, they've created something new, something important.

They’re the milk in my coffee, the jump in my step and they can be the bitter after taste left by heartbreak – all in a single track.  They are in my opinion the most important band of the 2000’s, simply because of the effect they will have on music going forward. This is a fact. There are many, many good indie bands, Interpol, Les Savy Fav, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr., Bloc Party, Built to Spill, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown, you see what I mean, but TV on the Radio stands out above that crowd and that, my friends, is quite a clusterfuck of talent and awesomeness.

So just put some TV on the Radio, because as the name clearly states, it’s visual stimulation for your ears.

Pure genius.

Over.
Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment