23 May 2011

On rainy days

On rainy days I like staying inside, I like listening to good music while sipping on endless cups of coffee, something I can now do at home. I can't fully express how much I enjoy it, but none the less, there have been some new releases recently that I have to talk about.

TV on the Radio - Nine Types of Light

If you've read my blog before, you'd know all about my fascination with the New York outfit. They constantly surprise me and can't seem to put a foot wrong, ever. I am already tipping this as my album of the year and if you keep reading, you will understand just how incredible that is, because the competition is pretty stiff.

The album is well sculpted, and Kyp Malone seems to have been given a little more freedom on Nine Types of Light, and the results are ear splitting falsettos, driving guitars and grooves smoother than a 12 year old Jameson.

The Decemberists - The King is Dead

For the past few years, The Decemberists have become more adventurous when it comes to making albums. Colin Meloy has led the band, from Picaresque's fantastic storytelling, to The Crane Wife's unbelievable melodies and of course The Hazard's of Love's complexity, full circle with their latest release.

The King is Dead is a stripped down, Americana singer/songwriter album and the band delivers, like only my favourite tweed sporting ensemble can.

Bon Iver - Bon Iver

I liked the first album, I enjoyed the EP more, then I was given Gayngs' album, Relayted. It changed everything. A band that I liked has crept under my skin and it makes me happy. Vernon's latest album's production is phenomenal, it sounds incredible and the melodies make for an easy listening, yet satisfying experience. I really love this album and I am sure that it will be very popular in the coming months.

The Cave Singers - No Witch


I only discovered this band recently and I must admit that there hasn't been a band which has sunk its teeth in quite as quickly in some time. Most of the music I listen to demands repetition to be fully appreciated, so do The Cave Singers, but the repetitions are significantly less than normal.

Find their music, it'll take to you to brink of breaking out, before crawling back into its hole. It'll tempt you with melody and retract its invitation just to keep you interested. All in all, I am stoked that I found them, they've become a staple. And their new album No Witch is no exception.

Those are my favourite albums of the year so far, although there are a few more deserving of a mention:

The Boxer Rebellion's The Cold Still
Black Pistol Fire's self titled debut
Cake's Showroom of Compassion


Those are my favourites so far in 2011, what are yours?

Rick.
Out

No comments:

Post a Comment